From December 5, 2021 to December 31, 2022
Mira . hiking trail
A quest for silence in the heart of the city
‘Mira’ is a route along Amsterdam’s three Nicholas Churches, in which the seven works of mercy are told from the perspective of a contemporary Amsterdammer.
In her twenties Mira, the daughter of a Dutch artist and a Turkish clockmaker, lives in the Red Light District, in the heart of Amsterdam. Every day she takes a walk through the old town, looking for silence and reflection. This mini-pilgrimage takes her past churches, brown cafes, narrow alleys and other striking places. Here she relives, together with the listener, a number of special encounters. Who are these people? And what do they want to tell her? Walk with Mira, be inspired by her stories and search with her for the silence in the heart of the city.
‘Mira’ is a route along Amsterdam’s three Nicholas Churches, in which the seven works of mercy are told from the perspective of a contemporary Amsterdammer. The audio walk through the Red Light District starts in front of Museum Ons’ Lieve Heer op Solder, at Oudezijds Voorburgwal 38, and runs along the Oude Kerk and the Sint Nicolaaskerk. The walk has a length of 1 kilometer and takes about 35 minutes.
FAQ AUDIO ROUTE MIRA
- Does the audio route use a lot of battery from my phone? It is good to have at least 60% battery on your phone.
- Can I borrow or rent a headset/headphones at the museum? No, it is important that you bring your own headset.
- Do I have to download the walk or can I also stream it? You can also stream, but downloading is more stable and costs you less data.
- Is there WiFi in the museum that I can use for this? Yes, ask at the counter for the password.
- Should I put my phone on silent? Yes, this is recommended because the notifications that come in on your phone interfere with the stories you hear.
- Do I need to give my GPS permission to the ECHOES app? Yes, the app only works if you turn on your GPS and give it permission.
- What should I do if I haven’t heard the directions? Look at the card of your app. Here the locations are indicated as numbers on the map. Walk to the next number on the map.
- Can I pause the app in between? Yes you can, there is a pause/play icon on the screen.
- Can I close and restart the app in between? No, then you will have to restart the entire route from the starting point at the museum.
- What if the app quits unexpectedly? Then walk back to the museum and start the route again.
- Can I also walk the route in reverse order? No you can’t, the stories are placed in ascending order.
- When will the route end? After the last story, at the Nicholas Basilica opposite Amsterdam Central Station.
- Can I delete the app after I have walked the route? Yes, that’s possible.