Our Lord in the Attic’s collection tells the story of Amsterdam’s 750 years of Catholic history. Among the items in the collection are manuscripts, books, prints, paintings, liturgical objects and garments, devotional objects, priestly medals and sculpture.
Many of the objects are from private churches of the seventeenth and eighteenth century. Having become redundant in the second half of the nineteenth century, most are closed and dismantled. In 1887, a historical society called Amstelkring resolves to purchase this house on the Amsterdam canals with its hidden attic church to save it from demolition and turn it into a museum. Their mission is to preserve the heritage of Amsterdam’s Catholic history for future generations. The Catholic attic church is the beating heart of our collection.